Persephone electrocuted herself last night.
She has this thing with chewing cords. In the year or two we’ve had her, she’s chewed through four ethernet cords, a number of headphones, and a few other miscellaneous things. We have to keep the power cord and ethernet cord for our laptop in a drawer and bring them out only when we’re using them. Even then, we have to watch her carefully if she gets too close. She doesn’t start slow; she just goes in for a giant chomp. So there’s a good chance that if she gets one good bite in, your cord is done for. Forever.
So last night I’m sitting on the couch writing an essay, and I hear this awful racket behind the TV. Then I can tell Persephone is trying to get out, but there’s a Monopoly game in the way (drat those things, always in the wrong place at the wrong time), so she’s stuck. I go over to pull it away and by then she’s super freaking out and when she finally is free, she’s hissing and spitting and flying to the other side of the house as fast as her little legs will carry her. I had a hunch, but it wasn’t confirmed until I went to look where she’d been and I saw the TV power cable with an exposed wire.
She was fine, just very shaken up, and for the longest time wouldn’t dare get close to the TV. I held her and petted her and told her what a dumb cat she was, and she gradually calmed down.
Here’s hoping it taught her a lesson. Somehow I’m not convinced it will. She may never chew the *TV* cord again, but I’m pretty sure it hasn’t cured her of her cord-chewing obsession altogether. Time will tell.
If she hadn’t been okay it wouldn’t be funny, but as it stands it’s pretty hilarious. I had a hard time not laughing at her 🙂