This was a healthy and easy dish. I thought it could have used a bit more flavor, but sprinkling some soy sauce on our individual portions was just fine. The original recipe called for asparagus, but I used frozen green beans – you could substitute any number of things. I do wish the sauce had thickened a little bit, but that may have been a result of my green beans being frozen and adding some liquid as they thawed.
Sesame Beef Stir-Fry (Recipe found here)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 10 oz top sirloin, thinly sliced across grain
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup onion, sliced
- A couple handfuls green beans, or other preferred vegetable
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oilSpread sesame seeds on a large plate. Sprinkle beef slices with salt and pepper and then coat with sesame seeds.Heat vegetable oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Add onion and stir-fry 1 minute. Add green beans, stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Add beef and stir-fry until brown, about 2 minutes.Reduce heat to medium. Add water and hoisin sauce. Cook until sauce is bubbling and coats beef and vegetables, tossing often, about 2 minutes. Stir in sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper.Serve over hot rice.