This casserole came about as an “oh crap I forgot to plan dinner tonight let’s see what I have in the pantry” meal. I’ve made similar dishes before, but this turned out to be my favorite by far. It’s simple, cheap, delicious, and really not bad for you. You could make it even healthier by using turkey sausage and low-fat cheese… but I didn’t.
Mexican Rice Casserole with Smoked Sausage & Black Beans
- 1 cup white rice, uncooked
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp chicken boullion granules
- 1 pkg smoked sausage, sliced (I also halve mine)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained insomuch as possible
- 1-2 cups cheddar cheese (just eyeball it)
Preheat oven to 350 degree and lightly grease a 9×13 (or similar size) dish.
Prepare rice as you would normally cook rice, but add chili powder, cumin, and chicken boullion to the water.
Dump sausage, beans, and tomatoes in a large mixing bowl. Add cooked rice and mix well. Spread into casserole dish and top with cheese.
Bake for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is melted, it smells delicious, and it looks like something you want to eat RIGHT NOW.